Re: btrfs mkfs options for root filesystem?

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:41 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:36:34AM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > Anaconda requires a new subvolume for / but doesn't require a
> > reformat. The Custom UI shows the / mountpoint's reformat checkbox
> > grayed out and checked, which might give the impression that whole
> > partition will be reformatted. It's confusing but just a cosmetic UI
> > anomaly.
>
> Oh -- so I shouldn't have pre-created the subvolumes? I did, and assigned
> them, and that's what happened. If I remember right, the subvolume
> checkboxes were grayed out and not checked, but I couldn't leave the top
> level volume (what do you call that?) unchecked and proceed -- I got an
> invalid configuration error.

Precreating the subvolumes won't matter, but you definitely can't use
an existing subvolume for '/' mountpoint. One thing that matters a lot
is that the partition scheme preset must be set to Btrfs (it is by
default now).

This might help or it might not :D depending on what already exists.
But the key part is that you must use [+] button on the lower left
when creating the / subvolume, and I also advise not specifying a size
value. Just select / as the mountpoint without a size. That will
create a new subvolume and assign it to /. Everything else can
optionally be new or reused.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_partitioning_custom_btrfs_preserve_home

--
Chris Murphy