Re: Anaconda snapshot KS command

On Thu, 2016-06-23 at 14:23 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:

> > Adding standalone snapshot command
> > ----------------------------------
> >  * Harder to implement but it's more general.
> >  * Easier to extend.
> >  * Easier to just add support for btrfs with additional required
> > parameters and anything else in future and syntax will not change
> > so
> > much.
> >
> > Personally I see the snapshot command as better choice but want to
> > hear
> > your idea.
>
> What do you imagine the snapshot command will do?  What arguments
> will
> it need to take?

Now it won't do much, it only takes name of the thin-LVM and name of
the future snapshot. When you use this command, it creates snapshot
before the system will restart at the end of the installation.
Main reason for this is testing if everything is fine after an
installation and factory reset for a running system.

For future I think it should have:
* before/after (or even before post/pre section) installation do a
snapshot to existing LV
* required parameters for other storage (like size of a snapshot for
normal LVM) and who knows what for btrfs or anything else in the future
* mountpoint where you want to mount this snapshot (you can do backup
of whole system before install and automatically mount it to some place
in installed system)
  * mount it as ro/rw should be another parameter

I think there could be even more of similar features.