Re: /boot/efi size, 260MiB minimum for FAT32 ESP) -- WAS: /boot size

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Bryan Smith <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris Murphy wrote:
>> You want to support installing Windows after Fedora? Why?
>
> No, I merely suggested we consider adding the _option_, with a
> checkbox, to Anaconda so it creates a GPT disk label that is
> compatible with Windows x64.

You don't want it supported, but you want it as an option? I don't
know what that means either. If it's there, it needs to be run by
UI/Ux folks, needs plain language clarity, needs to be translated, and
needs a significantly larger matrix of tests by QA/QE than exists now
for Windows installed before Fedora. I don't see on what basis this
option goes in if it's not assured of being understandable and
working. If it's not proven to work, why have it in there? And proving
that it works will take a ton of effort compared to the current way of
doing it which expects Windows first.

The other factor is that the vast majority of OEM Windows installers
are not Microsoft installers. Microsoft's will install to free space.
The OEM installers typically don't. They obliterate the target drive
in its entirety in favor of a fixed layout that can't be modified by
the user at all.

> In addition to specifying FAT32, along
> with the aforementioned 4KiB logical sector reality requiring 260MiB,
> Microsoft also considers the 0C01h non-optional on GPT.  So I thought
> it was a good way to offer something with a checkbox, that's all.

It's convincing that the ESP needs to use 4KiB clusters to support 4kn
drives. But I'm unconvinced any UEFI spec mandates that the ESP needs
to be FAT32. It's suggested that this ought to be true but the
language I've seen so far doesn't say it must be true. So either
mkdosfs needs a special flag to do the logic ensuring on 4kn drives it
uses 4/8KiB clusters, or some component within the installer needs to
pass mkdosfs that option, otherwise obviously the system will not
boot.

--
Chris Murphy