Re: releasing pykickstart-3

On Wed, 2016-01-27 at 13:12 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> Lately, I've been working on a new major version of pykickstart that
> will be incompatible with the current version.  This incompatibility
> is
> because I've moved to the python argparse module from the deprecated
> optparse.  The boring details are here:
>
> https://github.com/rhinstaller/pykickstart/blob/master/docs/2to3
>
> Anyway, pykickstart has a rich tradition of not screwing users over.
> I'd like to continue that when I release major version 3.  However I
> don't really know how to go about doing it while still leaving
> pykickstart-2 around for people to take their time moving from.
>
> I guess the typical way is to create a new package that can be
> installed
> alongside the old one, right?  I kind of hate that.  Are there other
> options?

I also wanted a clean break with blivet-2, and this is what I came up
with:

1. put up a roadmap somewhere public that announces your plans (each
github repo has its own wiki, for example)
2. use warnings in pykickstart-2 to let users know these things will be
changed in pykickstart-3
3. make pykickstart-3 available via copr or similar along with an
announcement so users can adapt their code
4. don't put pykickstart-3 into fedora until you think users have had a
reasonable amount of time to adapt their code (probably put it in
rawhide right after some new fedora is branched in dist-git)

David