Re: Switch livemedia-creator to qemu instead of virt-install

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 2:26 AM, Brian C. Lane <bcl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm considering switching lmc to use qemu directly instead of
> virt-install+libvirtd.
>
> Currently lmc can use virt-install to create the full range of supported
> images. But this doesn't work when running inside mock, which is used by
> Fedora releng's koji system.

Happy silent nights.

We are now also using lmc to build oVirt Node. And we actually do use
it in mock (on Jenkins):

http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-node-ng_master_build-artifacts-fc23-x86_64/11/console
http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-node-ng_master_build-artifacts-fc23-x86_64/

> It also supports the --no-virt mode which runs anaconda directly in the
> same environment as lmc. The benefit is less things to setup
> and it works inside mock. But the drawback is that it uses device-mapper
> for installing to a partitioned disk image, and device-mapper doesn't
> work inside mock. So when running in mock you can only create a live iso
> or a filesystem image, not anything that needs a partitioned disk.

Yes. Also a big -1 on the no-virt approach.

The nice isolation we have when using the VM lmc approach is gone, and
this can lead to all sorts of issues 8we have seen this over the years
with livecd-creator).
SELinux is a big candidate for causing trouble in this setup.

> I've been doing some experimenting and it ends up that qemu works inside
> mock.
>
> Switching to qemu (with optional auto-detection of when it could use
> qemu-kvm to speed things up) would simplify the code and allow it to
> create all the image types no matter where it is run from. It is also

That's funny.
I actually created this set of scripts to fake lmc while lmc was not
running in our Jenkins environment:
https://github.com/fabiand/image-tools

Those scripts are also using qemu directly, and I made the same
observations as you. It's all working quite well.
The drawback is that you probably end up doing a bit of the stuff
which virt-install is doing, doing yourself. i.e. --inject-initrd.
And I suppose there are more features from virt-install which you require.

> possible (I haven't tried this yet) that it could be used to create
> cross-arch images as well, since qemu has a wide range of supported
> arches.

Doesn't libvirtd also support to run different qemu arches (or however
it's called)? And if so, couldn't virt-install support it aswell?

In the end my take would rather be to stick to virt-install and see
how it can be run in mock.

My 2ct.

- fabian