Re: livemedia-creator --live-iso deliverables

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 06:13:44PM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I was running through runs of livemedia-creator in mock to figure out
> what exactly we need to get koji to run in order to produce the liveiso's I
> got things running and was able to produce a live iso. aside from things like
> the iso being ~1G bigger than what we get from livecd-creator I had one big

You can probably thank DNF for that. It's idea of the right packages is
different from yums.

> surprise. The surprise was the output that we got. In Release engineering we
> want the tooling to make the artifact as we are going to ship it. This means
> that someone running the tool at home can make the same thing as what we make.
> I was expecting for output something along the lines of Fedora-Live-
> Workstation-x86_64-rawhide-20151215.iso  which is what we get from livecd-
> creator. Instead of just an iso what I got was a tree

Remember that this is not livecd-creator, and it was not designed to
give you the same output.

> where the only thing that we will ship is images/boot.iso but we will have to
> do manipulation of  the tree to keep what we want and name it correctly and
> discard all the extra bits.  this means that every use that makes livecds will
> need to write tooling to extract the boot.iso, rename it and discard the extra
> bits.

Don't you already have to do that with the new lmc koji code to grab the
output from the run inside mock? I really don't see the need to add yet
this to lmc when your code can easily move the boot.iso to the final
location/name and remove the intermediate directory.

> given http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/23/Live/x86_64/ as
> an example of how we ship live media it is not a great thing to have to do. I
> strongly feel that a small piece of additional code in livemedia-creator to
> correctly name the iso given that there is a --image-name flag is reasonable
> and will save every person that makes livemedia from having to rewrite
> basically the same function, or us just writing a  wrapper around livemedia-
> creator to do so.

lmc uses lorax to create the iso output, which it why it looks very much
like a boot.iso tree. I want to minimize differences from lorax as much
as possible.

> I am happy to write the code but want to make sure that it will be welcome
> before I go off and do so.  This is a feature we are trying to get into the
> compose tools and process for Fedora 24 so that we can get rid of livecd-
> creator and appliance-creator once and for all

Thanks for doing this, in this case I think it belongs in the new koji
code, not lmc.