Re: Summary of shared EFI system partition discussion

2) Hide all firmware-boot related partitions
Treat all firmware-boot related partitions as being details of the boot process and hide them from the user.
"except then people would want an even more custom partitioning, that allowed them to do things to everything" (clumens)

No such users exist anywhere in the Windows or OS X world where the ESP is always hidden in GUI partitioning programs (not merely hidden in their OS installer).

Linux users have always been easily convinced that MBR gaps, BIOSBoot, and ESPs are functionally identical things, and they do not care one bit that they can't see, create, modify, delete MBR gaps. So why do they care about this with BIOSBoot and ESP? The answer has been, crickets.

3) Silently fail to delete ESPs when user checks off 'delete all'

I think this is a reasonable 2nd best handling option. Considering it's more work to rip out what's already been done, practically speaking it may be the 1st best option. There will probably be a future where all of these 100MB ESPs floating around are too small, and we're going to want a behind the scenes way of dealing with this no matter automatic or custom partitioning, and the existing ESP UI/UX can be ripped out then. That's a lot more than 2 or 3 Fedora releases away.

All the other options enhance confusion by merely rearranging the deck chairs, or add more dialogs, and more translation requirements, and more potential for bugs. The real "problem" here, is the user who has always been, and forever will be, ignorant of bootloader blocks. There is no amount of education or documentation or oops I can't boot my computer experiences, that will change that so we need to give up on the idea of trying to make users better than they are and just let them get on with why they're installing Fedora in the first place.

--
Chris Murphy