Re: Fedora Workstation Anaconda wishlist

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 08:54:30AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Fedora Workstation team has been considering some changes we'd like
> to see in Anaconda to make installation as simple as possible and
> reduce redundancy with GNOME Initial Setup. These changes are proposed
> for the Workstation installer only and not other products' installers,
> so we assume that Anaconda will allow this level of per-product
> configurability. Changes would be targeted for F24, not F23, since
> we're aware that the Anaconda team is busy on RHEL work right now.
>
> 1) Remove the network configuration spoke. In the live installer, this
> spoke allows setting only the system hostname, but it follows different
> rules for setting the hostname than GNOME and systemd (which has the
> concept of a user-facing "pretty hostname" that allows special
> characters and spaces). We'd prefer to implement this in Initial Setup
> instead, where we can pick a default based on the user's name (e.g.
> Michael's Computer).
>
> 2) Remove the user account creation spoke. This is redundant with
> Initial Setup.
>
> 3) Remove the root password configuration spoke. It's very confusing
> how this is different from the user's admin account password. Initial
> Setup ensures the first user is an administrator (is placed in the
> wheel group). Advanced users can set a root password after installation
> if desired.

Each of these items can be discussed further, but I'd prefer meeting
somewhere other than a mailing list.  For each request you've listed for us
to remove something, you've provided no explanation as to what replaces it.
g-i-s is fine and all, but my understanding there is it's optional.
Remember that the installer team is charged with ensuring that Fedora users
get an installed system they can use on the first reboot.  Removing things
like this increases our risk of failing on that, unless a proposed
replacement is guaranteed.

But these can be discussed further elsewhere.

> 4) With root password and user account creation removed, the
> installation progress panel will require a redesign. We haven't thought
> much about this. One possibility would be to move the progress bar to
> the center of the screen.

The progress bar placement allows for optional third party spokes to appear
on that screen.

> 5) Optional: We've also discussed removing the hub and spokes and
> having one panel flow directly into the next. Many of us feel that
> removing the need to choose which spoke to visit next would make the
> installer easier to use and perhaps less intimidating, but we do not
> have consensus on this point. It isn't related to the goal of reducing
> redundancy between Anaconda and GNOME Initial Setup.

Yeah, we're not going to do that.  Customizations to allow anaconda to adapt
better to different Fedora variants is one thing, but trashing the only UI
we've had in the installer with actual UX studies, design, and development
backing it is not something we're interested in.

> This mailing list might not be the greatest place for a discussion of
> these changes, since the other Workstation folks are not here. Paul
> Frields will work with David Cantrell to arrange a meeting.

Yes, I will work with Paul to arrange further discussions.

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Manager, Installer Engineering Team