Re: Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

From: Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Discussion of Development and Customization of the Red Hat Linux Installer <anaconda-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 9, 2015 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 13:28 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I'm also concerned about CoC warnings and sanction on test@. This is
> the list were users volunteer to be abused by software, as such I
> think they're
> more tolerant. And yet this misfeature hasn't been well received at
> all here, overwhelmingly. I'd expect the reception in the rest of
> the community
> would be quite a bit less docile.

On this topic: no-one was warned or sanctioned for complaining about
the change. They were warned and sanctioned for complaining about it
in a manner which was *clearly* against the code of conduct. As a mod
of test@ I do not want to see it turn into the kind of cesspool devel@
can become; that kind of atmosphere is a significant contributing
factor to people not wanting to read or contribute to that list and we
really don't want that to happen to test@.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

I concur with Adam about this discussion issue.

May I post this message, as a senior citizen who, for 50 years, worked in software architecture and in security (in banking) for many years?

On the fedoraforum.org site, I posted that I use "12345678" during the anaconda installation. After first installation boot at first logon, I replace that simple password with a stronger one. The practice I follow was based on two habits.

I revise system keyboard layout definitions to allow € and ¥ so that any of the characters from "#@£¢€¥" can be used within my post anaconda password.  The second practice stems from my experience.

Within big shops, the techie that installs Linux is not normally one of the system administrator(s).

Therefore, in big shops, there always a password change on a handover to one or more system administrators.  First boot, first logon is a good handover point in time.

With this proposed new rule,  I will be using a simple password "###123abc###"  as a replacement for 12345678?   Is that the entire issue about usable passwords during the anaconda operation?

If you really want secure passwords,  enforce a password change on the user's first logon and prevent the user from overwriting linux password vetting rules.

Regards

 Leslie
Mr. Leslie Satenstein
Montréal Québec, Canada