Re: Ideas for complex storage visualization

On Tue, 2014-11-18 at 16:57 +0100, Vojtěch Trefný wrote:

> I'm currently using system similar to GParted -- colored rectangles with
> child devices "embedded" into their parents -- a little like rectangular
> contour map --
> https://vtrefny.fedorapeople.org/blivet-gui/storage-visualisation1.png
> It looked like good idea but I think it is too complicated and hard to
> understand with more "layers".

One thought I have on this (just the one! That's all I got!) is the
'children and parents' view is possibly the wrong way to go about this.

Any way I try and think of representing it in a way where you drill down
a single Correct sequence - presumably drives to containers to volumes,
or something - winds up not being right for all cases, and a real pain
to try and represent consistently.

I definitely prefer the approaches of Mo's which give up on the idea
that you can always start from one view and drill down the same basic
'flow' to wherever you're trying to get to, and instead accept that hey,
maybe sometimes you want to look at partitions on disks, sometimes you
want to look at volumes in containers, sometimes you want to look at
members in sets. I guess I'd sort of expect GUIs for those situations,
and then links of some sort between the flows - when you're looking at
partitions on disks, you can see when a partition is a member of a
container, say, and switch to an appropriate level of the 'containers'
view.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey