Re: Ideas for complex storage visualization

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 04:57:45PM +0100, Vojtěch Trefný wrote:
> I'm currently trying to find a way how to visually represent complex
> storages (LVMs, RAIDs) in the blivet-gui[1] (and in the future for
> anaconda too).
>
> ------
> TL;DR version: Help me find a way how to visually represent
> storages, my current ideas[2] sucks.
> ------
>
> Even a simple Fedora installation on machine with a single harddrive
> can produce quite a complex storage -- installation using encrypted
> LVM results into seven devices with four level deep structure
> (luks-physical volume-volume group-logical volumes).
>
> The challenge here is to create a simple graphical representation of
> this situation (and of course also not so standard storages with
> LVMs over RAIDs and other weird configurations) that would be easy
> to understand and could fit into application window[3] (leaving
> space for other widgets).
>
> I'm currently using system similar to GParted -- colored rectangles
> with child devices "embedded" into their parents -- a little like
> rectangular contour map -- https://vtrefny.fedorapeople.org/blivet-gui/storage-visualisation1.png
> It looked like good idea but I think it is too complicated and hard
> to understand with more "layers".

Quick request/comment.  No embedded colored rectangles, unless it
supplements another system.  Or really, do not make it so I cannot see what
is on my disk.

http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/living-with-colour-vision-deficiency/

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>