Re: Can't test Anaconda changes in RHEL7

On Fri, 2014-11-28 at 10:13 +0700, Jack Ngo wrote:
> Sorry, I've replied in another title. Sorry again for spam.
>

> Hi Vratislav Podzimek,
>
> First, thank you very much for helping me.
>
> But I did follow you and after reboot PXE Client, nothing changed :(
>
> 1. I find Anaconda version (anaconda-19.31.79-1)
>
> 2. Run scripts/makeupdates script: $ scripts/makeupdates -t
> anaconda-19.31.79-1
>
> 3. Upload updates.img into my webserver (/var/www/html/)
>
> 3.1 Append inst.updates=http://x.x.x.x/updates.img
>
> I changed a very simple code to test, remove  "WELCOME TO" in
> welcome.glade
I think you picked one of a few places in the codebase that don't make
the change visible. That string is translated, updated and whatever in
some places in the code, so it may have happened that your change just
wasn't visible. Try changing e.g. the "Starting anaconda..." message in
the main 'anaconda' script.

> But when I reboot PXE Client to test, nothing changed.
What should definitely change if the updates.img works is that if you
switch to tty2 (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and run 'ls /tmp/updates', there should be
something. If that directory doesn't exist or is empty

> Did I miss something? Hmm, I have a question....how many updates.img I
> have to create? one for version without my changes and one for version
> with my changes, right? But I only use one Anaconda version:
> 19.31.79-1
I think you didn't miss anything. And you only need a single updates.img
for the version you are testing. But if you want to test only your
changes, it is not good to create the updates.img on the rhel7-branch of
anaconda's sources, because that branch contains many other changes. To
isolated your changes, you can create your own branch, do the changes
there and then create an updates.img on your new branch. Something like:

$ git checkout -b my_branch anaconda-19.31.79-1
...do your changes here...
$ scripts/makeupdates -t anaconda-19.31.79-1

Hope you have better luck this time. If anything still goes wrong the
best way to get help is on our #anaconda IRC channel @ FreeNode.

--
Vratislav Podzimek