Re: Revisit Product-ized install repos for Final?

On 11/05/2014 10:27 AM, Brian C. Lane wrote:
On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 11:01:08PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 23:33 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 07:22:06 -0800
Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 08:35 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This isn't about the trees, but about the repository packages we
created that point to the trees, as part of the alpha attempt to
do productized netinsts.
Ah, yes. In that case, +1. However, it has the unfortunate
side-effect of making it harder to count productized repo access
without direct dnf/yum support.
The repos weren't designed to be installed in any case, only used
during installation.

umm we can not remove them, anaconda expects there to be a repo called
fedora-server or fedora-cloud due to how the compose is done and that
is not changing.
why not? we added it in a hurry for alpha, we can remove it easily
enough now. I don't think the anaconda guys want the memory overhead of
the useless extra repos, they seemed in favour of removing them when I
mentioned it in #anaconda.

CCing bcl. IIRC the change either way is a one-liner to
pyanaconda/packaging/__init__.py which we've already ping-ponged back
and forth like twice.
Which change, I'm losing track.

We should certainly NOT be shipping f21 with all the repos installed and
enabled, it slows down the installation and chews up memory
unnecessarily.

   they need to stick around for f21, we can look at
doing different things in f22.  We need to work with the anaconda guys
to see what we can do and what changes they will need to make.
IIRC the 'include all the enabled repos' hack was a quick fix because
nobody had sorted out how to make just the right ones get included
during the compose time.

IMHO this is a releng problem. Give anaconda the right repos with the
right names and it will do the right thing. When you run lorax/pungi and
you want to customize the repos you need to install them in
/etc/yum.repos.d/ so that lorax will copy them to the image.

Also, this discussion should be on anaconda-devel, not a cc list. So
I've added it to the cc list. I don't have any particular authority in
this, just strong opinions :)

OK, I am sure you guys know what you are talking about but it is a little vague to me. Just what are all these repos?

If a repo is rawhide then it should be only the "rolling release" "rawhide". If it is the release under development (e.g., F21) then it should be the F21 branch plus updates-testing (plain updates is empty). If it is production, then it should be "everything" plus an install option of updates.

Or, has something completely different been done? Is there a repo for fedora-server, another for fedora-workstation and yet another for fedora-cloud. How do the Live Installs fit if this is the case?

While I intend to switch form using netinstall plus kickstart to doing installs based on a Live Image, I will be rolling my own. Therefore, I guess I will be creating the GOVOF Product :-)
[That is, Gene's Own Version Of Fedora]

The difference will be package selection. I have yet to determine which packages to include at install time as oppose to those packages post-installed. One big thing for me is that I want to have the system called Fedora and not Generic and all packages should be available in a repository.

BTW, I have become impressed with the Live Install since it greatly reduces the time necessary to perform the install.

Anyway, I am just trying to understand how/what things will be different with Fedora 21 as compared to previous releases.

Gene