RE: BZ 1094856: screen redesign idea

Truly sorry for the top post... working on getting a better mobile client -

I agree 100% with your assessment of disclosure triangles. I think they would be a better widget in GTK+ if they were more easily targetable. I also agree a lot of users look under them to peek anyway.

What I will say is that they can be effective in the users' first perception of the screen. I've recently been through the process of selling my house, and one real estate factoid I have heard frequently is buyers form their main impression of a house in the first 15 seconds. I think this could apply to UI screens too. If at the outset there's a ton of controls and other clutter on the screen, it can be a very overwhelmed first impression. (like one messy house I visited that smelled like a litter box as soon as you walked in.) But the disclosure triangles give you this dirty trick that makes the screen seem very clean and uncluttered at first glance which might give users more confidence / less stress to start. When they dig into the extended controls underneath, they are opting into that so they feel more in control of the situation.

Where the disclosure triangles really fail is twofold:

- they start breeding and suddenly there's multiple screens' worth of cruft shoved in there (as Chris pointed out)

- when many users *must* open up the disclosure to access controls they teuly need. I have screwed this up in the past with anaconda designs and it's my bad. It's just a speed bump at that point and way annoying.

So if these controls are definitely very rarely used, the disclosure might be a nice way to go if the mouse target area could be somehow padded to make it easier to click. But design 2 is okay too. My one reservation with it that I should point out is that it becomes unbalanced when you dont have the vg selector in non LVM device types... which is the main reason I stacked the name / label controls vertically in #3.

~m