Re: Reworking the Keyboard spoke

> On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 15:07 +0100, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> > in the lifetime of Fedora 18, 19 and 20 there have been some serious
> > issues identified in our Keyboard spoke. The main issue is that with a
> > one-level layout selection, it is not possible to list keyboard layouts
> > for multiple languages (thus e.g. Belgian layout was not listed as
> > Belgian, but as Dutch, because those two languages both use the layout).
> > The other issue is that it's not obvious which of the layouts will be
> > used by default (as the VConsole keymap) and last but not least it is
> > not possible to preview the layout before adding it.
> >
> > For those reason, I've started thinking and working on the new version
> > of the Keyboard spoke. The following link shows what I have right now:
> > http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/reworked_keyboard_spoke.png
> >
> > Issues I'm aware of (and didn't make implementing them today):
> > * there should be descriptive labels visually splitting the screen into
> > two parts (something like "Available layouts:" and "Keyboard
> > configuration:")
> > * the default layout should be bold
> > * layout switching label should be more visible (italics?)
> > * the + and - buttons are probably not so catching as they should be
> >   - Should the testing area and treeview with added layouts be swapped
> >     and the +/- buttons replaced with the up/down arrows?
> >   - or should they be marked as important and thus have the blue colour?
> >
> > Suggestions and comments welcome!
>
> The main problem I see with this is it's unclear what 'default' means.
Maybe we could use something like 'Use for console' instead? Are people
going to be confused not knowing what the console is? Is there any
better wording for this? Maybe "Console keymap"?

In any case I believe we should give users way to configure which of the
layouts should be used for the VConsole.

--
Vratislav Podzimek