Re: Idea for making custom partitioning more accessible

On Oct 22, 2013, at 7:59 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Straight-To-CustomPart/inst-dest-horiz.png
>
> You might opt-into disk encryption, and you leave everything else alone.
>
> 2) You click 'Done' in the upper left corner. You go straight to the
> hub. Yeh. So basically:
>
> http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Straight-To-CustomPart/dialog1.png

I prefer this new layout.

However, in a single screen it refers to the user in the 1st and 3rd person: I will configure partitioning and You'll set a passphrase later. I think it's best if there's one narrative.

> If you're not going
> into custom part, is the default auto-part type good enough?

Yes, it's good enough. I've always though guided/auto partitioning wasn't very guided or automatic, with many undefined terms that users wanting to use this path are unlikely to care about.

A noted option is that if the products idea really happens, it's possible to have different defaults behind the scenes for the different products based on the typical use case their working groups come up with: e.g. the cloud product probably doesn't need LVM by default, rather they may want extlinux and ext4 only as their "guided" default layout. And this doesn't require UI changes.

> http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Straight-To-CustomPart/cp-ap-with-dropdown.png
>
> You pick the auto part type you want in the dropdown and hit create to
> let it do its thing and then tweak accordingly. Or you can start from
> scratch if you're into that.

Great.

> RECLAIM DISK SPACE POP-UP
> =========================
>
> Just a small mod to this one, since encrypt and autopart type are
> available else where, drop them:
>
> http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Straight-To-CustomPart/dialog2.png
>

> NO DISK SPACE POP-UP
> ====================
>
> No changes to this guy:
>
> http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Straight-To-CustomPart/dialog3.png

It's OK. I'd strongly consider getting rid of complete sentences in both of these. I'm reading 40-50 words before I get to the most important information buried in a sea of text: you don't have enough free space.

I'd lead with the summary of whether they have enough free space or not. Then summarize the breakdown of what software selection amounts to (space needed), and storage device selection (space available), and what the next step is.

> The only sticking point here is that auto-part folks won't get to choose
> their flavor unless they go into custom. But maybe it's good, people who
> don't really know the difference won't have to even make the choice. And
> it's easy enough to go into custom, hit auto part for the flavor you
> want, and get out?

I think the gain outweighs the loss.

Chris Murphy