Re: Where and how to deal with EULA?

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:52:38AM +0200, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> With the transition from the Firstboot to the Initial Setup we have lost
> the EULA acceptance screen and we should bring it back. However, I think
> that the approach like "We have replaced your data with our great
> system. Oh, and by the way, do you agree with our EULA? Yes, please
> proceed." is not the right one. I believe we should make users see and
> accept the EULA before they click on the "Begin installation" button.
> Or, in case that would be too disruptive and enforcing, at least to the
> system installation phase (on the second hub). Of course, if the
> 'firstboot --reconfig' appears in the kickstart, the same screen would
> appear in the Initial Setup (for OEM installations).
>
> As for the UX side -- I'd go with a simple text view showing the license
> with an "I agree" checkbox below it. Once that gets checked, the spoke
> would be completed and the installation (first boot) might continue.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas?

I had a conversation like this with RH legal about a year ago, because I
agree with you, where we ask people to agree to the EULA does not make
sense.  However, the legal department wants it there and does not want to
move it.  Not wanting to upset the legal department, I am inclined to keep
the EULA where it is and just say it's a "legal requirement" because it
basically is.

The former EULA screen in firstboot should be reimplemented in
initial-setup.  That does mean it will appear after installation, but that
is what legal wants.

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>