Re: RAID UI redo

> LVM supports linear (default), mirror, and stripe and combinations.
> No RAID 5 or 6.

There is some confusion on this point.

Both upstream and (backported to) RHEL 6.3+ have added LVM segtypes for MD managed "raid1", "raid4", "raid5", "raid6" plus (also backported to 6.4) "raid10".  In other words, instead of putting LVM atop of MD, you can now have all of your drives as PVs in a VG, and then decide how you want individual LVs to be carved up from the PVs.  Using these new LVM "raid#" segtypes use MD by using subvolumes (on each PV) of Extents for data, parity, etc..., plus an Extent for metadata.

See "man 8 lvcreate" and "man 8 lvconvert" if your distribution provides support for these new "raid#" MD managed segtypes (--type option).  The RHEL documentation also covers these features [1], as well as how to convert LVM mirror to MD raid1 as a managed LV. [2]

I won't speculate on what some might want or would recommend in an installer, that's not my place.  I just wanted people to be aware this support is already in RHEL 6.3+, in addition to upstream, since some were not aware of it.

-- bjs

[1] https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/raid_volumes.html
[2] https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/linear-to-raid.html