Re: Idea for changing RAID selection UI

I prefer BCL's mockup using radio buttons for the RAID level equivalents. It's an OK convention for radio button settings to snap change, based on other user settings being changed. It's not an OK convention for a drop down menu to do this.

But this doesn't address the following problems:

1. Can we drop RAID 4? There's no advantage to RAID 4 over RAID 5, but there are disadvantages.

2. Can we drop RAID 0+1? There's no advantage to it over RAID 10.

3. Optimize Performance and Error Detection: RAID 4,5,6 doesn't work this way, and such terms set the wrong expectation for users. Can we change:
"Redundancy" to "Redundancy using mirroring"
"Error Detection" to "Redundancy using parity"
And make Optimize Performance only apply to RAID 0 and 10?

4.  Distributed and Redundant don't help people make a choice, they're simply different terms than RAID 5 and RAID 6, but are equally obscure. Solution: If it's agreeable to change "Error Detection" to "Redundancy using parity" then Distributed isn't needed anymore. And Redundant can be replaced with "Redundancy using dual parity"

If these changes are made, we get a predominately radio button UI with one checkbox option, and it can be unified with the RAID level versions.

Optimize Performance (RAID 0)
Redundancy using mirroring (RAID 1)
        checkbox: Optimize Performance (RAID10)
Redundancy using single parity (RAID 5)
Redundancy using dual parity (RAID 6)

A tooltip, or the help, can explain these with a small amount of additional information, if desired, such as how many failures are tolerated. The checkbox UI has all sorts of confusing logical implications, like suggesting it supports RAID 60, when it's not supported.

Chris Murphy