Re: Few ideas for Anaconda hub and spoke

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 12:03 +0100, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have gathered several ideas for hub and spoke - maybe it's can be
> useful for the next release of anaconda... So here we go:
>
> 1. Make it possible to see all spoke modules at the hub as start.

They already are? The selection of spokes never changes. The live image
has fewer than netinst/DVD: this is intentional, the 'missing' spokes
are unnecessary in the live install case.

> 2. Hub and spoke modules in anaconda is great, but it needs hub and
> spoke for the kickstart too. Every spoke module has to provide an
> kickstart file what the hub can execute or skip as the user
> wants/selects. Instead of rewriting every time the kickstart why
> couldn't be modular?
> 3. The installer SHOULD *only* provide an small LIVE core (200-300 MB)
> of the system that bootable in any circumstance till bash, and ready
> to use in CLI or for futher customization (Possibly JUST minimal
> install). With the small core - what is easily maintainable

This is pretty much how it already works. The installer environment is a
minimal Fedora environment. There's a console at ctrl-alt-f2 if you need
one.

> 4. Separate the installation parts to different spoke modules. Eg. I
> think we need an spoke module, where you can select your default UI
> (Gnome, , and customize its apps if the user wants.

This is already what the Software Selection spoke does. If you're not
seeing it, you're running a live image which doesn't *have* any other
desktops to install.

> 5. Make it possible that after hw detection - witch hw has no driver -
> be presented in the central hub, and if the user has an driver that
> the manufacturer provides, be possible to insert it from externally.
> Debian has this feature from eons in Squeeze installer.

There is a 'driver disk' feature in anaconda, though it may have gotten
broken over the last couple of releases. An interactive spoke for it is
kind of a neat idea, I guess.

> On desktop, I think we should offer an desktop customization directly
> as we start after question "Would you like to set your final
> customization?" the settings panel with tiny description window as "We
> open for you the control center where you can finish your desktop
> customization if you wish, if you say here later, you can call the
> control center/settings panel any time with .... and thank you for
> selected Fedora XX codename.".

That's really kind of outside the scope of the installer.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey