Re: lots of feedback on the test-list

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 10:44:14AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 09:42 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 08:57 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > since the Fedora 18 Beta release there is a lot of general users feedback on the test list [1]. A large portion of that is related to Anaconda. One of the reasons why we see a lot of feedback there is that this list is recommended to all the users on the official download page [2].
> > >
> > > It would be a shame if the Anaconda feedback went unnoticed just because the developers are not subscribed to that list. I recommend all of you to subscribe to test-list, or at least read the archives periodically, to see what parts of NewUI are the most problematic ones for our users. Your response to some of the questions would also be appreciated.
> >
> > Feel free to filter out all the screaming vitriol, of course. I'm doing
> > my best to clamp down on that.
>
> If anyone wants an executive summary of this morning's thread: it boils
> down to what we were discussing already, that people are just not
> grokking the layout and workflow of custom partitioning. They are
> *definitely* not understanding that what you have in the left hand side
> is existing and proposed new partitions grouped by the OS install they
> are a part of, and on the right hand side you set properties of those
> partitions. There is a lot of confusion about what it means when they
> see a 'Fedora 17' group with a 'Boot' partition in it, for instance:
> people think that's the /boot partition of the new install, or they
> think it's something like that but they're not really sure.
>
> Once we explain the layout I think people get it, but they're definitely
> not understanding it when they see it.

Yes, but it's also people who are thinking along the lines of the old
installer.  Mo put it well to me one day, the top down thinking is just
really new and difficult for people to grok.  Almost all complaints I've
seen mention "the partition device names aren't even there!" or something
like that, which to me says they are trying to understand the new UI in
terms of the old UI.  What we need to communicate to everyone is that you
don't really need to deal with all of the details like you used to.  Any of
the following, for example:

    * Updated install guide
    * Video walk-throughs
    * Reviews (the ones I've seen I like)

The content like this that I've seen is good.  And I appreciate everyone who
is standing up for the installer team.  You guys are helping out a lot.

I understand that people are frustrated because the new UI is different, but
I also see people pointed at explanations, diagrams, reviews, or other forms
of question answering and they come back with a 'thanks!' and/or compliment
on the new UI....*combined with* a short list of UI tweaks they suggest.  If
we can filter out the loud screaming of the initial response, often times
people either like it as is or have a small number of suggestions.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Manager, Installer Engineering Team