Re: lots of feedback on the test-list

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 09:42 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 08:57 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > since the Fedora 18 Beta release there is a lot of general users feedback on the test list [1]. A large portion of that is related to Anaconda. One of the reasons why we see a lot of feedback there is that this list is recommended to all the users on the official download page [2].
> >
> > It would be a shame if the Anaconda feedback went unnoticed just because the developers are not subscribed to that list. I recommend all of you to subscribe to test-list, or at least read the archives periodically, to see what parts of NewUI are the most problematic ones for our users. Your response to some of the questions would also be appreciated.
>
> Feel free to filter out all the screaming vitriol, of course. I'm doing
> my best to clamp down on that.

If anyone wants an executive summary of this morning's thread: it boils
down to what we were discussing already, that people are just not
grokking the layout and workflow of custom partitioning. They are
*definitely* not understanding that what you have in the left hand side
is existing and proposed new partitions grouped by the OS install they
are a part of, and on the right hand side you set properties of those
partitions. There is a lot of confusion about what it means when they
see a 'Fedora 17' group with a 'Boot' partition in it, for instance:
people think that's the /boot partition of the new install, or they
think it's something like that but they're not really sure.

Once we explain the layout I think people get it, but they're definitely
not understanding it when they see it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey