Re: Ability to install to loopmounted filesystem - mentor wanted

Reopening a very old thread, since I'm back to working on it.
Which part of the anaconda source should i check for understanding how --image works?

Also, i tried running anaconda with a kickstart file that had this

part / --grow --fstype=ext4 --_onpart_=/dev/loop0
part swap --grow --fstype=swap --_onpart_=/dev/loop1
bootloader --location=partition

Anaconda, on running, tells me that "no root ( '/' ) partition has been specified. no boot device has been specified". Any idea what's going wrong, since anaconda is detecting the loop0 device, and is giving a different error if I use some invalid path in place of the loop device.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Brian C. Lane <bcl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 05:57:59PM +0530, Tirtha Chatterjee wrote:
> Hello. I am trying to implement something like Wubi on Fedora. For
> this, I first need to make it possible to install to loopmounted
> filesystems through anaconda. I don't think a lot of modification to
> the existing source code is required.
>
> I tried going through the source code, but it seemed quite big to
> manage without some guidance. I would be extremely happy if someone
> guided me on this.

We can install to a disk image file using --image, would this work for
you instead of a loop device?

It should be possible to add loop device support, since that is how
the image install works -- you'd just (famous last words) skip the
initial loop setup of the image and point to a preexisting one. I'd
start by looking at the --image install code and go from there.

Regards
Tirtha Chatterjee
KDE developer
http://wyuka.co.cc/