Re: F18 beta TC4 btrfs options

On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

>> What about linear without striping? Not an option? (I haven't read btrfs
>> docs for quite a while now and I don't remember.)
>
> Not an option.

This is wrong. There is a -d single option which is essentially linear. Comparing raid0 to single, they basically even out with their various trade offs, so I have no problem if anaconda uses -d single, instead of the btrfs default of -d raid0. If the typical Fedora user has mixed size drives, -d single is probably better: maximized use of all space even with unequal drive sizes, and a very simple volume expansion just by adding another drive a rebalance is not applicable.

Four attributes: recovery potential with a disk failure; performance enhancement; volume expansion by adding more disks; use of unequal disk sizes.

raid0                     single

none [1]                  none[1]
~2x r/w                   1x
rebalance [2]             simple
not maximized [3]         maximized

[1] requires special knowledge to have a chance at any data retrieval
[2] not required, but ideal if you're to continue having 2+ disk stripe performance
[3] only stripes space that's in-common between disks, whereas single will completely fill disks of very different sizes.

Chris Murphy