Re: F18 RC2 btrfs options

On Sep 12, 2012, at 3:59 PM, David Lehman wrote:

> I have removed the "Technology" combobox for the time being. As of now,
> there is no way to create new container devices (lvm vg, btrfs vol, md)
> whose member/component devices are anything other than partitions. This
> functionality will get in at some point, but it will have to wait a bit.

In alpha RC2, if /home and / are set to btrfs, this causes /home and / to not be partitions but rather two subvols, which is great. Eventually it'd be nice for /boot to join.

However, checking "Redundancy (mirror)" does nothing for a two disk setup for data. It's basically default mkfs.btrfs: i.e. -m raid1 -d raid0, but it sounds like this is expected behavior in alpha.

The UI eventually ought to reflect that you can't have a 2+ disk setup without either raid0, raid1, or raid10 with btrfs. The default for 2+ disk btrfs volumes is -d raid0, so the UI should have "Optimized performance (stripe)" checked by default.

>> 5. Error detection (parity). [snip]

> We're not allowing explicit selection of metadata profile. We'll
> probably do something similar to what you have above. As of now, we're
> not passing any -m option to mkfs.btrfs.

OK so what is this Error detection option supposed to do?

>> 6. Compression lacks an LZO option, and defaults to ZLIB.
>
> I've also removed the compression checkbutton since compression can be
> enabled post-install. We're cutting out features that are not
> install-time-only.

Fair enough. Although, compression post-install only compresses that which is added after installation. There's a pretty good performance boost, esp on read, for compressed data.

Chris Murphy