Re: F18 beta TC4 btrfs options

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 22:03 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
> > Single disk: Neither Redundancy nor Optimized checkboxes should be selectable (either not visible or grayed out).
>
> Works this way in anaconda-18.18.
>

> > 2-3 disks chosen: Optimized and Redundancy appear as radio buttons (mutually exclusive options) with Optimized selected by default.
>
> This is still broken in multiple ways for 2 disks:
>
> a.) By default neither one is checked, which doesn't make sense. Optimized  performance (stripe) is the btrfs default for multiple device volumes.

This kind of thing is very irritating. First of all, it makes sense --
just because btrfs-progs has one default doesn't mean that any other
default is nonsensical. Second, I'm not too keen on chasing the
btrfs-progs defaults. See, they can change as often as they like and I'm
not interested in signing up for the game of keep-up. Someone other than
me may find the desire or time to implement this, but it's not likely to
be me. btrfs is starting to seem like a high-maintenence woman, except
without all the wonders of womanhood.

> b.) When I check Redundancy on Root and/or Home, and then click back to the other, Redundancy is unchecked. So the checkbox isn't sticking.

I've been thinking about this. I don't like exposing options for the
parent/container in each its children. It's confusing at worst and weird
at best. For F18 I'll have to come up with something that won't take too
much time -- maybe just make sure the changes are saved/reflected across
subvols. Eventually it will make sense to be able to specify subvolume
versus volume as device type and only provide the volume-level options
in the volume editor.

> c.) I can choose both options for just two disks, and btrfs raid10 requires 4 disks minimum. The checkboxes don't stick.

I guess I'll have to disable that for now, then. At some point I may
have time to flesh out the btrfs-specific raid backend, but for now it
goes to the back burner. See the high-maintenance remark above.

> Honestly for 2-3 disks, the simpler UI is a radio button, not checkboxes.

Having two different UIs depending on the number of disks is not
simpler-enough for the user to justify the madness for the developer, so
that's not going to happen.

David