Re: F18 RC2 btrfs options

On Sep 12, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Chris Lumens wrote:

>> 1. Each option has a red (-0Gb) after it.
>
> This is supposed to indicate to you how much space each option will
> consume.  So if you turn on redundancy, you're going to use up some of
> the available disk space for that mirroring.

I think that's fine, either way. But I also think if people don't understand basic terminology, they shouldn't be using the option. I'm primarily a Mac user, we tend to expect lots of hand holding in the GUI, and even I think this is excessive.

Most importantly, with a single disk, these options need to be grayed out or not exist. I haven't seen what the behavior is with two disks.

>> 4. The Technology pop-up menu is unclear which option it applies to,
>> I'm guessing just mirroring and striping. A thin black line separating
>> would make this more clear. Or drop the option entirely (honestly in a
>> GUI I don't see the advantage of LVM or MD over btrfs integrated RAID,
>> compared to the cluttering of the UI that results from providing the
>> choice.)
>
> I'll see what mizmo thinks about making this a little more separated
> out.  Believe it or not, though, a fair number of people want to do
> things like LVM-on-RAID (or the other way around - I don't really
> remember).

Why do they want it? My first suspicion is they don't understand btrfs if they want LVM or md RAID to implement RAID 0, 1, or 10, which are the only RAID types allowed in the RC2 UI. If people want LVM, RAID or LVM on RAID, they should use ext4 or XFS.

My second suspicion is conflating either LVM or md RAID in a BTRFS specific UI is just confusing, so I still think it should be dropped.

>> 5. Error detection (parity). Is this the metadata profile? If so, I
>> think it being unchecked by default is confusing, because there isn't
>> a -m none option. I'd even suggest the UI could be eliminated by
>> making some reasonable choices for the user based on the first two
>>
>> Single disk, use metadata default of duplicated on that single disk.
>> Multiple disk where -d raid0 or raid1, use -m raid1 because it's safer.
>> Multiple disk where -d raid10, use -m raid10
>
> For RAID, at least, I believe this option is basically for toggling
> RAID6.

Yeah but RAID 5/6 are both distributed parity, so the terminology still doesn't make sense. It should be called RAID 5 and RAID 6 in any case, rather than Error Detection. But this option is gone in RC2, so maybe it's going away entirely.

>> 6. Compression lacks an LZO option, and defaults to ZLIB.
>
> We're walking a bit of a fine line here with how much data to present on
> this screen.  I don't really think we want to offer different
> compression algorithms as a drop-down or something.  So, whatever is the
> recommended scheme is the one we should default to.

This is my argument for the Technology pop-up menu. But Compression is likewise gone in RC2.

I'd rather have zlib than no compression option. But for lower performing hardware, LZO is a performance advantage over no compression and zlib. And I'd use radio buttons rather than a pop-up menu, since there are only two options.

Chris Murphy