Re: F18 RC2 btrfs options

> 1. Each option has a red (-0Gb) after it.

This is supposed to indicate to you how much space each option will
consume.  So if you turn on redundancy, you're going to use up some of
the available disk space for that mirroring.

I don't believe they are hooked up yet - at least not on the alpha.
Perhaps they will make more sense when they do something?  Or perhaps,
they don't really make sense like this at all and a tooltip with the
same information is better.

> 2. Redundancy (mirror) is presumably "-d raid1", unclear why it's
> checkable with one disk.
>
> 3. Optimized performance (stripe) is presumably "-d raid0", unclear
> why it's checkable with one disk.

dlehman will have to weigh in here, but most of this isn't really usable
on the alpha yet given that the alpha does not require custom
partitioning to work.  I know he's put a lot of time into this screen
lately for post-alpha.

> 4. The Technology pop-up menu is unclear which option it applies to,
> I'm guessing just mirroring and striping. A thin black line separating
> would make this more clear. Or drop the option entirely (honestly in a
> GUI I don't see the advantage of LVM or MD over btrfs integrated RAID,
> compared to the cluttering of the UI that results from providing the
> choice.)

I'll see what mizmo thinks about making this a little more separated
out.  Believe it or not, though, a fair number of people want to do
things like LVM-on-RAID (or the other way around - I don't really
remember).

> 5. Error detection (parity). Is this the metadata profile? If so, I
> think it being unchecked by default is confusing, because there isn't
> a -m none option. I'd even suggest the UI could be eliminated by
> making some reasonable choices for the user based on the first two
>
> Single disk, use metadata default of duplicated on that single disk.
> Multiple disk where -d raid0 or raid1, use -m raid1 because it's safer.
> Multiple disk where -d raid10, use -m raid10

For RAID, at least, I believe this option is basically for toggling
RAID6.

> 6. Compression lacks an LZO option, and defaults to ZLIB.

We're walking a bit of a fine line here with how much data to present on
this screen.  I don't really think we want to offer different
compression algorithms as a drop-down or something.  So, whatever is the
recommended scheme is the one we should default to.

- Chris