Re: running livemedia-creator with 1GB

Brian C. Lane wrote:
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:49:50AM -0500, David A. Marlin wrote:
I am running on F17 and using:

 anaconda-17.29-1.fc17
 lorax-17.26-1.fc17

I was creating a test image using livemedia-creator on a resource
constrained system (only 1GB memory) and encountered an error.

   "You have not specified a swap partition.     917 MB of memory is
required to continue installation
    without a swap partition, but you only have 898 MB."

But I have a large swap partition on the build system, and it is active.

This is referring to the target system, it doesn't use the host's
swapfile when calculating the amount of space.
Interesting. So it uses the amount of RAM on the host in its calculation, but not the swap on the host?
I have successfully created images before, but this time I used a
new kickstart that did not include a 'swap' partition definition.

  clearpart --all
  part /boot --size 255 --fstype vfat --asprimary --label=boot
  part / --size 2000 --fstype ext4 --label=rootfs

If I add a small swap partition in the kickstart, it works.

Is this the intended behavior?  Is there a way to create a target
image that does not include a swap partition?

I'm assuming you are using --no-virt, right?
Correct.

 livemedia-creator \
   --make-disk --no-virt --image-only --keep-image \
   --armplatform=None \
   --ks=./F17-raspberrypi.ks

This is a side-effect of
anaconda not normally being used directly on a buildhost. We might be
able to work around it, but really it is easier to just have a swapfile
in the kickstart, then it will be useful for virt or nonvirt methods.
Understood. Ours is probably not a typical use-case. This particular image is for the Raspberry Pi. We try to create a small rootfs image that can be downloaded and copied to flash (small size is important, typically ~1GB). On first boot we grow the / (root) partition to fill the flash device (whatever its size) and set up a swap file (user specified size) rather than create a dedicated swap partition. Adding a swap partition of 500 MB adds 500MB to the image size to be downloaded and copied to flash (~50% larger).

I guess if we ran this on a builder that had 2GB memory this would not even be an issue. Either way, we can work around it.

Thank you for the explanation,

d.marlin
========