Re: Fedora with XFS /boot

On 6/17/12 5:10 PM, Marcos Felipe Rasia de Mello wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anaconda does not allow put the /boot directory on a XFS filesystem. I
> did a test using the great FSArchiver, which enables you to save an
> image from any supported filesystem (including all data properties and
> attributes) and restoring it into a *different* one (kepping the
> original UUID).
>
> First, I installed Fedora 17 on a single EXT4 partition (no
> RAID/LVM/swap), then inside SystemRescueCd saved the filesystem:
>
> fsarchiver -v -z 2 -j 2 savefs /mnt/windows/fedora.fsa /dev/sda1    #
> /mnt/windows is a CIFS share
>
> To be sure nothing was left from GRUB2:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=600k
> sync
> parted -s /dev/sda -- mklabel msdos
> parted -s /dev/sda -- mkpart primary xfs 0% 100%
> parted -s /dev/sda -- set 1 boot on
> partprobe /dev/sda
>
> Now, put the filesystem back on XFS:
>
> fsarchiver -v -j 2 restfs /mnt/windows/fedora.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda1,mkfs=xfs
>
> Reinstall GRUB2:
>
> mkdir /mnt/fedora
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/fedora
> mount --bind /dev /mnt/fedora/dev
> mount --bind /proc /mnt/fedora/proc
> mount --bind /sys /mnt/fedora/sys
> chroot /mnt/fedora /bin/sh
> grub2-install /dev/sda
> exit
> nano /mnt/fedora/etc/fstab    # change filesystem type from ext4 to xfs
> umount /mnt/fedora/* /mnt/fedora
>
> Reboot.
>
> All worked fine! XFS /boot...
>
> Digging into xfs mailing list I discovered the problem GRUB has with
> XFS is that it can not be installed *on the partition*, because unlike
> EXT filesystems XFS uses its first sector. Which is a shame for people
> who only install GRUB on the MBR like me.
>
> Would be possible for Anaconda allow XFS at /boot while check for GRUB
> on the partition case?

You are right that grub must live in the MBR and not on the XFS partition since
XFS uses sector 0.

Aside from that, old grub code sometimes broke when it tried to read & write
directly from/to the block device while it was mounted.  That this even worked
on ext3 was a miracle.  ;)  I presume grub2 is better, at some point I should
go audit what it's doing I suppose, but your test looks like a good datapoint,
thanks.

-Eric