Re: F17 bogus "could not detect partitions" error

On Mar 16, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> So what you're saying is that Anaconda gets confused when you have a
> mixed MBR/GPT disk and as a result makes some sub-optimal choices? The
> answer here would seem to be to fix the confusion.

Yes. But in anaconda, with or without dependency on another tool, or in parted? I'd think, ideally parted. But how long will that take?

Fedora 16s move to GPT by default on BIOS hardware invites this particular problem, and exposes the hole in parted's handling. I think this decision should be walked back in F17. MBR for BIOS hardware when the disk is 2.2TB or less. I see more disadvantages and problems of GPT on BIOS hardware, than advantages, in particular when the disk size is less than 2.2TB.

Chris Murphy