Re: [f16-branch] Write human readable timezone information to /etc/timezone.

> The problem I have with these sorts of patches are that anaconda now
> owns the initial creation of this symlink.  What happens when the
> symlink has to move, change, or otherwise be modified in the future?
> I guarantee you that the group making that decision will not
> communicate it with us and we will deal with it in a reactive
> manner.
>
> So I always ask myself if anaconda really needs to own the creation
> of this symlink or if it can be placed in another component?
>
> The bug indicates that systemd is pushing for common files like this
> to avoid having applications scour /usr/share/zoneinfo to get a
> human readable name for /etc/localtime.  Why not have systemd just
> do that at boot up?  Will users know to update /etc/timezone when
> they update /etc/localtime?  Or will some users think they can
> change /etc/timezone to change the timezone and leave /etc/localtime
> alone and then wonder why things don't work?  Perhaps
> system-config-date could offer a Python library, C library, and
> command line tool to look up /etc/localtime and print out the
> human-readable name?

Yeah - I agree with this reasoning.  I've never really liked that we
have to copy something to /etc/localtime anyway, and adding another task
that conveys very similar information to what we have to do is the wrong
direction.  Ideally, I'd like to see some sort of timezone setting
program we could call that would do both of these tasks for us.

- Chris