Re: Anaconda UX redesign / status update

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 17:48 +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> One that may or may not come up is the ability for RHEL to display a
> EULA screen at the beginning of installation.  Right now this lives in
> firstboot, which makes little since as you've already installed the
> produce by then.  I've been talking with legal on where we should move
> this...possibly even just having RHN own the EULA acceptance screen
> entirely, but I would like for us to have the ability integrated in to
> our redesign.

This is what Spot and I came up with as a potential solution:

http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Prototypes/Screens/PNG/03-01-progress_hub2_complete.png

This would effectively make it visible in both Anaconda and firstboot.
If the OS is installed via kickstart, users would see this in firstboot.
If they install graphically, they'll see it while the install progress
bar is working.

> An idea that I thought would be interesting would be to allow people to
> do either the spin selection thing -or- provide a kickstart file (via
> the network, via a USB flash drive, etc) that we then use the %packages
> section from.  To me that seems like we could handle the cases where
> people want the finegrained package control, but we've reduced the
> installer to having as simple of an interface as possible while still
> giving usable installed systems.
>
> Another thing worth considering is a location screen over the time zone
> screen.  This was filed as an RFE initially and I moved it to the
> anaconda feature planning wiki today:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/LocationQuestion
>
> Taking an approach similar to Ubuntu where we ask for the user's
> location and then use that information to determine time zone, maybe
> langauge, and maybe keyboard.  Or at least the default values.

We do have to ask for language as the very first screen to figure out
what UI language to use though. We can base the rest (TZ, keyboard, OS
language) off of that selection, but it would be *great* to be even
smarter than that, look at GeoIP or whatnot and offer more smart
defaults.

~m