Re: Bootloader patches for rawhide

On 04/19/2011 09:34 AM, David Lehman wrote:
> Lots of miscellaneous fixes and tweaks to general bootloader stuff.
>
> Also introduces a GRUB2 class and eventually makes it the default on
> X86. GRUB2 lacks working support for passwords and is missing control
> over ordering of various kernels/entries. Otherwise, believe it or not,
> it is functional whereas GRUB1 is not.

>From a personal perspective (and one I realize I won't be able to change
the course of things here) I'd question both GRUB1 and GRUB2 being
functional.

I'd also point out that while GRUB1 has it's warts (sometimes updating a
kernel causes grub to no longer be able to boot for instance), it is the
devil that we (Fedora), and the rest of the admin community know and
understand.

I'd also claim that taking features away (as you mentioned passwords and
ordering of kernels / entries, at the least) is not something to be
taken as lightly as it seems.  I don't object to the patches, but I do
object / have serious concern over making GRUB2 the default.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley