Re: Firstboot interface

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 09:24 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> Martin Gracik <mgracik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to change the firstboot interface, and I came up with this
> > new design. Here's a short video
> > http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/firstboot.ogg
> >
> > The main point is that the window is not fullscreen. I'd like to have a
> > special wallpaper with fedora logo, and maybe release number or whatever
> > people would like to see during firstboot, which will be used during the
> > firstboot run (the one in the video is just an example I found on the
> > internet). This way I can get rid of fedora logos inside firstboot,
> > which makes it cleaner and more elegant in my opinion.
>
> Why not make it fullscreen?  Not that I think firstboot should be
> fullscreen, I just want to know why this is preferred.

This is why I hate all fullscreen apps (it's anaconda, not firstboot,
but you'll see my point)

http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/anaconda_fullscreen.png

I personaly just don't see why anything should be fullscreen. gtk makes
the window size fit all the widgets properly, so it's compact and you
don't have to move your eyes, and mouse pointer over the whole screen.

Also you can see your nice wallpaper. :)

What I would like to see, is a consistent look in the whole start up
process. So when you look at the gdm, which is started right after
firstboot

http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/gdm.png

You can see that the login window has no decorations, so I was trying to
make firstboot screen look like the gdm screen. I would even love to
have the panel on the top with time and shutdown button and network
manager applet, but I know that nobody except me (and Radek) likes the
panel. :) With the panel and the wallpaper, you have somewhat consistent
look through firstboot, gdm and the gnome desktop.

> With this new design, when is firstboot intended to run?

It's run at the same time as now, before gdm, because we need to create
the user account first.

> > The window cannot be resized or closed with alt+f4. It can be moved when
> > you're holding the alt key. I also added the Quit button, so if someone
> > really doesn't want to go through firstboot, he can quit it.
> >
> > The other change is that there's no list of pages anymore. Instead,
> > there's a number of steps in the lower left corner, so the user gets an
> > idea how far in the process he is.
>
> I'm not really crazy about either of these changes.  Well, I guess I don't
> care much about the non-resizable window and lack of other window
> controls, it just seems strange.  The "Step X of Y" change I think is more
> confusing to users.  They know how many steps remain, but they have no
> idea what the next step will involve.  Step 1 could be setting the date
> and time and step 2 could be an exhaustive memory test step and then step
> 3 could be reading the license agreement.  With the list of steps, there
> was at least some indication of the types of things you were about to do.
>
> But, I think my opinions are just that.  We should get the user
> interaction people involved on changing up this interface.

I removed the steps panel because I think it's not necessary. My first
design didn't even have the steps label in the lower corner, I added
that later. My opinion is that when you cannot skip the steps, you have
to go over all of them, or just quit, I don't see the point of showing
them. I like my apps simple and clean, and for me the steps panel adds
no functionality, that's why I removed it.

I don't want to imply, that we should copy what others do, but I have
seen some firstboot-like applications, installers, and wizards/guides
and the ones I liked, didn't have a panel with steps at all, and that is
a trend I personally like.

> > In the backend, the biggest change is that the interface uses
> > gtk.Notebook to hold all the modules/pages.
>
> That's a nice improvement.
>
> > One thing that could be added is an icon for every page to the upper
> > right corner.
> >
> > Don't mind the actual pages for now, they are old, and could use some
> > changes too. I just wrapped it around the old modules to see how it
> > works.
> >
> > I'm awaiting all kinds of comments and feedback.
>
> Overall it looks fine, but I recommend working with the user interaction
> team to get their input on how these screens should work.

Of course, I would like to see comments, and ideas from the user
interaction team. I was hoping someone reads this mailing list.

--
Martin Gracik <mgracik@xxxxxxxxxx>