Re: Firstboot interface

Martin Gracik <mgracik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm trying to change the firstboot interface, and I came up with this
> new design. Here's a short video
> http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/firstboot.ogg
>
> The main point is that the window is not fullscreen. I'd like to have a
> special wallpaper with fedora logo, and maybe release number or whatever
> people would like to see during firstboot, which will be used during the
> firstboot run (the one in the video is just an example I found on the
> internet). This way I can get rid of fedora logos inside firstboot,
> which makes it cleaner and more elegant in my opinion.

Why not make it fullscreen?  Not that I think firstboot should be
fullscreen, I just want to know why this is preferred.

With this new design, when is firstboot intended to run?

> The window cannot be resized or closed with alt+f4. It can be moved when
> you're holding the alt key. I also added the Quit button, so if someone
> really doesn't want to go through firstboot, he can quit it.
>
> The other change is that there's no list of pages anymore. Instead,
> there's a number of steps in the lower left corner, so the user gets an
> idea how far in the process he is.

I'm not really crazy about either of these changes.  Well, I guess I don't
care much about the non-resizable window and lack of other window
controls, it just seems strange.  The "Step X of Y" change I think is more
confusing to users.  They know how many steps remain, but they have no
idea what the next step will involve.  Step 1 could be setting the date
and time and step 2 could be an exhaustive memory test step and then step
3 could be reading the license agreement.  With the list of steps, there
was at least some indication of the types of things you were about to do.

But, I think my opinions are just that.  We should get the user
interaction people involved on changing up this interface.

> In the backend, the biggest change is that the interface uses
> gtk.Notebook to hold all the modules/pages.

That's a nice improvement.

> One thing that could be added is an icon for every page to the upper
> right corner.
>
> Don't mind the actual pages for now, they are old, and could use some
> changes too. I just wrapped it around the old modules to see how it
> works.
>
> I'm awaiting all kinds of comments and feedback.

Overall it looks fine, but I recommend working with the user interaction
team to get their input on how these screens should work.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Supervisor, Installer Engineering Team