Re: UEFI is here (on Sandy Bridge) and the boot order is wrong

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/16/2011 09:34 AM, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
>> UEFI is here for real, and (at least as F14) we're not really ready
>> for it.  (You can buy>2TB disks, and AFAICT basically all Cougar
>> Point motherboards support UEFI.)
>>
>> I have a new DH67GD board (one of Intel's Sandy Bridge / Cougar Point
>> boards), and in a fit of masochism I decided to install Fedora 14 in
>> EFI mode.  I had two problems, both related to anaconda.  I'll deal
>> with the more straightforward issue first.
>>
>> When installing to an EFI system (i.e. disk is GPT and the installer
>> was booted in EFI mode), anaconda installs grub to
>> /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.efi and sets up an entry in efibootmgr to
>> point to it.  This interacts rather badly with my motherboard.  As far
>> as I can tell (note: this is deduced from limited experimentation),
>> when UEFI is enabled in my firmware, the actual boot order is:
>>
>> 1. Boot from *devices* in the order specified in firmware config.
>> (This has nothing at all to do with efibootmgr AFAICT.)  I'll get to
>> what "booting from a device" means below.
>> 2. Boot from *disabled* devices in some order (I haven't tried to
>> figure out what order).
>> 3. Boot from efibootmgr entries (presumably in order specified in efibootmgr).
>
> This is a bit weird; none of my Intel machines put anything before the EFI
> boot variables by default, and doing so is pretty much just wrong. Hopefully
> this is configurable, because there's basically nothing we can do about your
> firmware getting the boot order wrong.  In theory we could set the disk up
> as if it's a removable device, which sounds like it might fix this issue,
> but it creates more and wildly violates the standard.

I upgraded to the latest BIOS (0102) and now it almost works.  The two
remaining problems are:

1. If other boot devices are available, they get added to the boot
order as seen by efibootmgr.  They're added at the end of the
BootOrder this time, though.

2. The boot menu (what I get if I press F10) doesn't show EFI entries.
 If I *don't* press F10, though, everything works perfectly.

This is with BOOTX64.efi deleted.

--Andy