Re: some brainstorming on location in anaconda

> Yep, that's correct! I don't know if it'll be too confusing in practice
> though; I mocked it up that way so it looks more clean / less-cluttered.
> The pattern is used in some more recent GNOME config UI such as the
> calendar widget (if you have multiple locations on your clock, hover
> over the right side of the clock drop-down and edit boxes appear) as
> well as in the new accountsdialog package.
>
> I could probably do a little animated javascript thingy to usability
> test it out and make sure it won't cause problems though! I'll poke
> around with some jquery and these png files and see what I can build :)
> (it'll help to get a feel for how it works outside of testing those
> buttons anyway)

Hm, I wonder how that's implemented and if it's some GNOME-specific
thing that we're not going to be able to do.

This raises an important question about how we go about adding these new
interfaces.  The proposal is pretty drastically different in style from
everything else in anaconda.  Do we merge in a single completely
different UI for one screen and have it look very out of place, or do we
wait to merge until the rest of the UI looks similar?

> > Does the keyboard layout selector have any way to let you type and
> > verify you're getting the right thing?  I see the images of the layouts
> > (do we have those in a package somewhere),
>
> xkeyboard-config is the low-level package that provides the layout
> metadata.... libgnomekbd is the higher-level package though that you'd
> probably want to use if you wanted to poke with it? (this is from
> talking to Ray about it)

Okay, we'll investigate.

> That dialog does actually respond to keypresses so if you hit a key on
> your keyboard it'll light up the key it'll use in the keyboard diagram.
> We probably need to blow it up much bigger to be readable though. Maybe
> it would be nice to have a textarea that shows as you're typing what
> it'll come out like? (Maybe easier to read than the highlighted keys?)
>
> One thing I noticed poking around with the choose a layout dialog is
> that it is quite difficult to get focus on the keyboard diagram widget
> so that you can type to light up the keys. It would be nice if you type
> anywhere (besides the dropdown boxes, which *SHOULD* jump you to the
> keys you're typing but don't today making the selections extremely
> painful) that it lights up the keyboard rather than having the align the
> stars and planets just right. :p

As long as we have a way for the user to verify they're typing in the
layout they chose, it's fine.  It doesn't matter to me whether it's a
magic light up layout image or a text box.  However, it does seem like
the layout image is harder to discover that you can use for
verification.  Without the focus stealing, you'd have to know to put the
mouse over it first.  I don't know that we can do the focus stealing.
And if we do, can we still make the keyboard accelerators for Back/Next
work right?

- Chris