Re: some brainstorming on location in anaconda

Hi Chris!

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 21:36 +0000, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > I put together some mockups based on your proposal, Bill-
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign/Anaconda_Location#Mockups
>
> Ahh good, something concrete to talk about.
>
> It looks like every value only becomes a button once you put the mouse
> over it.  Is that what I'm seeing?

Yep, that's correct! I don't know if it'll be too confusing in practice
though; I mocked it up that way so it looks more clean / less-cluttered.
The pattern is used in some more recent GNOME config UI such as the
calendar widget (if you have multiple locations on your clock, hover
over the right side of the clock drop-down and edit boxes appear) as
well as in the new accountsdialog package.

I could probably do a little animated javascript thingy to usability
test it out and make sure it won't cause problems though! I'll poke
around with some jquery and these png files and see what I can build :)
(it'll help to get a feel for how it works outside of testing those
buttons anyway)

> Does the keyboard layout selector have any way to let you type and
> verify you're getting the right thing?  I see the images of the layouts
> (do we have those in a package somewhere),

xkeyboard-config is the low-level package that provides the layout
metadata.... libgnomekbd is the higher-level package though that you'd
probably want to use if you wanted to poke with it? (this is from
talking to Ray about it)

> but it's not clear to me that
> if you start typing, keys will light up or something.  Having a test
> input box there would really make a lot of bug reporters happy.

I totally just ripped that off of:

System > Preferences > Keyboard ... Layouts Tab ... Add button ....
Choose a layout dialog.

That dialog does actually respond to keypresses so if you hit a key on
your keyboard it'll light up the key it'll use in the keyboard diagram.
We probably need to blow it up much bigger to be readable though. Maybe
it would be nice to have a textarea that shows as you're typing what
it'll come out like? (Maybe easier to read than the highlighted keys?)

One thing I noticed poking around with the choose a layout dialog is
that it is quite difficult to get focus on the keyboard diagram widget
so that you can type to light up the keys. It would be nice if you type
anywhere (besides the dropdown boxes, which *SHOULD* jump you to the
keys you're typing but don't today making the selections extremely
painful) that it lights up the keyboard rather than having the align the
stars and planets just right. :p

~m