Re: User Experience improvements for Anaconda

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 02:37:10PM -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > I like the idea of not having root, and having only a local user setup with sudo rights
> > in anaconda. Then if I really need the root account, I can do it in command line manually.
> > In my opinion anaconda+firstboot should make life easier for people who don't know much
> > about the system. If you're an advanced user, and really need a root user account,
> > you should already have the knowledge how to create it in command line by yourself.
> > You shouldn't need a GUI wizard for that.
>
> True, but I also think we need to strike a balance to make sure things
> aren't too much of a pain on the advanced user.  I mean, I like to think
> of myself as an advanced user as well and I'd prefer things to not be
> more difficult for me than they have to.
>
> It seems like we can strike some balance here.  Perhaps we start by
> merging the root password and create user screens together and offering
> some sort of choice.  You can choose to set up a root password, or you
> can choose to create a regular user account and put that user into sudo.
> Default to the second choice.  I'm not sure if we can make that make
> sense in the UI though.

I think that would add more clutter to the interface. Using a normal
user and sudo for root access is the safe way to do things. If advanced
users want to use root setting it up isn't much of a burden -- in cases
where you are deploying alot of systems you can easily setup a kickstart
to do it for you.