Re: User Experience improvements for Anaconda

Martin Gracik <mgracik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it such a big deal to have one normal local user account on your system? Are there
> any downsides to this? What if the NIS server dies, how will you login in an emergency?
>
> I like the idea of not having root, and having only a local user setup with sudo rights
> in anaconda. Then if I really need the root account, I can do it in command line manually.
> In my opinion anaconda+firstboot should make life easier for people who don't know much
> about the system. If you're an advanced user, and really need a root user account,
> you should already have the knowledge how to create it in command line by yourself.
> You shouldn't need a GUI wizard for that.

I suspect that my situation is probably somewhat unconventional.

We're a lab, and deploy dozens of machines to do simulation tasks for
various customers.  It is easiest for me, as administrator, to log in
to the various machines directly as root in order to do my work.  I
don't need a gui to set up the root account; in the past it has been
sufficient to enter the root password as the system is being installed.

Being forced to make a (temporary) local account just to set up the
root account is just adding that much more (in my view) unnecessary
work.

Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - Linux Admin Weenie
Unix sysadmin: Linux, IRIX, NetBSD, OS X, Solaris, HP/UX, CX/UX