Re: [Fwd: [Fedora QA] #135: Proposed Test Day - TOPIC How about a consideration of the dual boot issues from Fedora 13?]

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 08:48:19AM -0400, James Laska wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> We (fedora-qa) received a request for a test day around anaconda and
> dual-booting.  I'm not sure if there is interest on the development side
> for attending and addressing issues found during such an event.  Also, I
> think we'll probably need to clarify the exposure areas related to
> dual-boot scenarios.
>
> So my questions for the list ...
>
>      1. Is there interest in hosting/attending a Fedora 15 test day
>         around installer dual-boot?
>      2. What areas of the installer are impacted by the presence of
>         other operating systems (installing bootloader, partition
>         detection/selection, partition types (ntfs, xfs...) etc...)?

Dual booting with other Linux distributions is an issue. I've looked
into it a bit and one major problem we are going to run into is that
some distributions are now using grub2 instead of grub. That makes
building the correct bootloader config much harder.

In the past I have handled this manually, using a large shared /boot and
manually editing my entries. I think we can do a better job of
supporting dual boot with the same bootloader, but really don't have any
good ideas as to how to handle dual boot with things like Ubuntu.

Another issue I have seen is the sharing of swap space, which can be a
problem if hibernate is used.

--
Brian C. Lane / Anaconda Team
Port Orchard, WA (PST8PDT)