Re: [master 2/2] logging: be smarter logging UI module import errors.

On 10/07/2010 09:11 PM, Brian C. Lane wrote:
On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 05:27:27PM +0200, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
Use the logging module and log the traceback.
---
  pyanaconda/gui.py  |    5 ++++-
  pyanaconda/text.py |    3 +++

Ack, although it would be nice if the traceback format was reversed,
like we do in tb dumps.

Hi,

I just wanted a quick fix of the obvious problem that when there's a substantial error in the module that won't even allow it to be imported we are left clueless (line number, function) and have to dig deeper.

The reversed traceback: well I'd need to (try to) instantiate meh.dump.ReverseExceptionDump (or duplicate the code in it) to mimic the format precisely, which I'd rather not (especially the code duplication). I always assumed the only reason we do the reverse traceback in dumps is "because we can", although Martin Sivak just told me it could be because in some cases the traceback can be cut off in the end and then we'd miss the important bits.

Anyway: is the reversed traceback really more readable for you (or anyone)? Perhaps it is even the time to move away from it and have it the same way Python has it naturally.

Ales