Re: Anaconda upgrades and bootloader options

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 13:04 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html#sn-upgrading-bootloader-x86).
> >  Choices:
> >      1. Create new boot loader configuration
>
> >      2. Update boot loader configuration
>
> >      3. Skip boot loader updating
>
> > The open question from Fedora QA [1] is, is there value in presenting
> > options#2 and options#3?  From what we can tell, they result in the same
> > upgraded system.
>
> >From the viewpoint of the end user, there are three different choices:
>
>    1. Install new GRUB via grub-install.  This overwrites MBR.  This
>       puts the other GRUB files onto /boot.  This updates any existing
>       /boot/grub/grub.conf (else creates initial grub.conf.)
>
>    2. Leave MBR the same.  Leave GRUB software the same.  Update grub.conf
>       (or create grub.conf if none exists.)
>
>    3. Leave MBR the same.  Leave GRUB software the same.  Leave grub.conf the same.

I thought that's how it worked too.  However, in our testing, #3 results
in updated grub.conf when the new kernel is installed on the system.
This isn't anything anaconda controls, this is managed by the %scripts
of the kernel package itself.

> I am in category 3.  Do not create or modify *ANYTHING* related to booting:
> not the MBR, not the GRUB software, not grub.conf.  GRUB refuses to understand
> my boot setup, so I handle it by myself.
>
> Both 1. and 2. update existing grub.conf if any, else create the first grub.conf.

Thanks,
James