Re: install from usb disk without iso image

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 21:22 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 07:13 PM, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 18:20 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I'd like to make an external usb disk bootable and install my system
> >> from this disk. But i would _not_ like to copy iso images to the disk
> >> but the content of the iso ie: images/ and Packages/ dir and a few
> >> kickstart file. can i run anaconda to use the 'on disk' repo instead of
> >> the iso? i can only find ftp, http and harddisk repo, but something like
> >> file://.. repo definition would be useful.
> >> thanks in advance.
> >> regards.
> >>

> > That was removed from anaconda a couple of years ago, It was felt that
> > with a writeable repo, that a user could mess up the install by altering
> > the repo. I argued against removing that method for installs, but it
> > still exists for use with pre-upgrade. Think I have a workaround, add an
> > fstab entry to mount your usbkey at /var/cache/yum/, use an ks file that
> > has "install" in it, and pass ks="file location" and preupgrade at the
> > boot prompt.
>
> preupgrade is not an install, but update. i want to install a fresh new
> system.
yea, sorry you wound need to mount the usbkey from tty2 for an install,
never mind...

> why was it removed? is there any patch to anaconda? yes with a writable
> repo suer can mess up, but a user can mess up anyway. and in this way
> the advanced user has no choice?

To stand in the way of independent work? jk.. I guess there was a push
to limit the ability to introduce non-fedora rpms into the base install.
I really don't see the difference between having 3rd party repos enabled
then using preupgrade, passing repo=url_to_3party_repo in anaconda, or
just creating your own repo, all are froth with danger.

> ok the longer story. we've got a pxe + kickstart setup to install new
> system with software and everything is working, but sometimes the system
> has to be installed in our partner's house without pxe setup or even
> internet. we've got the full repo and we can generate enerything, but we
> wouldn't like to generate iso all the time (since generating iso with
> revisor is always the main source of errors).
> what we can do anyway?

Well, I've been able to use the repo on the usbkey, with the repo
residing in /Updates on the usbkey when I added to the ks file:
repo --name=updates --baseurl=file:///mnt/isodir/Updates
This was using the install.iso on the usbkey at the same time.

The trick would be to have the usbkey mounted /mnt/isodir before the
repos are setup by anaconda. You may want to try to use a boot.iso on
the usbkey and your repo at the same time, that might setup /mnt/isodir
for anaconda. You would be adding the above string to your ks file or
the boot prompt(edit to suit). This is untested by me.

> if there us a solution for rhel-5 (which has a much older version of
> anaconda-11.1.2.209-1.el5 that would be enough for us (but the best
> would be some patch against the anaconda-11.1.2.209-1.el5 and
> anaconda-13.21.56-1.el6)
> thanks in advance.

Good Luck,

Jerry