Re: install from usb disk without iso image

On 08/06/2010 07:13 PM, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 18:20 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to make an external usb disk bootable and install my system
>> from this disk. But i would _not_ like to copy iso images to the disk
>> but the content of the iso ie: images/ and Packages/ dir and a few
>> kickstart file. can i run anaconda to use the 'on disk' repo instead of
>> the iso? i can only find ftp, http and harddisk repo, but something like
>> file://.. repo definition would be useful.
>> thanks in advance.
>> regards.
>>

> That was removed from anaconda a couple of years ago, It was felt that
> with a writeable repo, that a user could mess up the install by altering
> the repo. I argued against removing that method for installs, but it
> still exists for use with pre-upgrade. Think I have a workaround, add an
> fstab entry to mount your usbkey at /var/cache/yum/, use an ks file that
> has "install" in it, and pass ks="file location" and preupgrade at the
> boot prompt.

preupgrade is not an install, but update. i want to install a fresh new
system.
why was it removed? is there any patch to anaconda? yes with a writable
repo suer can mess up, but a user can mess up anyway. and in this way
the advanced user has no choice?
ok the longer story. we've got a pxe + kickstart setup to install new
system with software and everything is working, but sometimes the system
has to be installed in our partner's house without pxe setup or even
internet. we've got the full repo and we can generate enerything, but we
wouldn't like to generate iso all the time (since generating iso with
revisor is always the main source of errors).
what we can do anyway?
if there us a solution for rhel-5 (which has a much older version of
anaconda-11.1.2.209-1.el5 that would be enough for us (but the best
would be some patch against the anaconda-11.1.2.209-1.el5 and
anaconda-13.21.56-1.el6)
thanks in advance.