Re: Re-thinking the filter-ui

Hi,

On 05/20/2010 11:41 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:
People think that they need to select the disks which they want to
install to, so if they for example have 2 disks, 1 with windows,
and 1 free disk, they only select the free disk.

I've tried to take care of some of this confusion with recent string
changes to ui/filter.glade (c8237ba25bef2d749c8fb128516a9fe9e187b55f in
particular), and I'm hoping we can take care of some more of it in
documentation.  Still, it's a new screen in partitioning land and will
require getting used to.  There's always room for improvement though.

Yes I've seen those changes.

1) When basic storage configuration is shown, simply skip the
filter UI completely (leaving exclusive disks empty, and behaving
as pre filter-ui and as kickstart still works). This has the
IMHO large advantage of removing the confusion with having 2 disk
selection screens.

We could certainly do this.  However, it means there's nowhere for the
user to select the boot device, as that's currently only on the
cleardisks screen.

I think you're miss understanding me here, I'm suggesting to not
show the filter ui (just leave exclusive disks empty) and keep showing
the cleardisks screen, so people will still be able to select their
bootdev.

2) In the clear disks ui, make the boot device a drop down below
the 2 disk panes, much like it was before the UI changes. As the bugs
we've been getting about it being unclear how to select which disk
to boot from, and the above use case illustrate what we currently
have does not work all that well from a UI pov.

We could also do that, in which case I'd just want to kill the existing
"Boot Device" column in the right hand pane.

Yes removing the "Boot Device" column is part of the plan.

I'm not sure that a drop down fits in the existing UI very well, but
it's worth exploring.  What we've currently got is a tradeoff anyway.
The original design included a separate screen for just the boot device
selection, but I wanted to keep the number of new screens to a minimum.
Hence the column that you see today.

If we can come up with a way to make it not look out of place, I'm okay
with adding another widget there.

Note that the suggestion for switching to a dropdown is mostly driven
by the following usecase: User has 2 disks, wants to install Linux on
disk2 (so wants disk2 in cleardisks) but want the bootloader on disk1,
the current UI does not allow doing this (in a simple way).

Regards,

Hans