Re: RFC: how to handle iscsi (and fcoe / zfcp) in rescue mode ?

Hi,

On 04/08/2010 12:28 PM, Martin Sivak wrote:
Hi,

iSCSI based root device should work with iBFT enabled machine, but the problem is when the machine has local/pxe based kernel and initrd. The initrd is then usually responsible for mounting the drive, but we have no access to the information within.

We have also problem with non-root iSCSI devices. I looked at it yesterday and there is no configuration in /etc/iscsi we could use to initialize storage for mounting drives mentioned in /etc/fstab. So even if we could execute iscsi daemon, there is no info about where to look for the drives... (except in initrd file on /boot drive, which could itself be iSCSI device)

iscsi info is stored in the iscsi db, which lives under /var/lib/iscsi. But that does not help, as we won't have /var in
the / on iscsi case either.

So currently without iBFT we have no automated support for iSCSI in rescue.

Yes, as we cannot supported automated iscsi support in rescue, just like we cannot do this in a regular install.

Manually adding the devices doesn't seem as the right approach to me, because the admin can always do that by hand in the rescue shell. And unless we get some plugins for firstaidkit, nobody except admins can use rescue anyways...

Manually adding them is the only option, admins are already used to needing to do this from the
regular install path. Duplicating the add advanced target UI in rescue mode is a lot more
userfriendly then asking them to type obscure iscsiadm (and zfcp and fcoe) commands, esp. as
they are already used to the UI.

More over if we don't activate the disks before scanning for /, the user will need to
mount / manually including mounting sub mounts (say /home), /proc, /proc/bus/usb /sys and *bind* mounting
/dev, sure this can be done but is anything but userfriendly.

Regards,

Hans