Re: RFC: how to handle iscsi (and fcoe / zfcp) in rescue mode ?

Hi,

iSCSI based root device should work with iBFT enabled machine, but the problem is when the machine has local/pxe based kernel and initrd. The initrd is then usually responsible for mounting the drive, but we have no access to the information within.

We have also problem with non-root iSCSI devices. I looked at it yesterday and there is no configuration in /etc/iscsi we could use to initialize storage for mounting drives mentioned in /etc/fstab. So even if we could execute iscsi daemon, there is no info about where to look for the drives... (except in initrd file on /boot drive, which could itself be iSCSI device)

So currently without iBFT we have no automated support for iSCSI in rescue.

Manually adding the devices doesn't seem as the right approach to me, because the admin can always do that by hand in the rescue shell. And unless we get some plugins for firstaidkit, nobody except admins can use rescue anyways...

We could go with allowing the user to manually add root filesystem whereabouts (if the detection fails) and then doing the same we do now (mounting /etc/fstab for example). But we would still have problems with no information about needed iscsi drives.

Martin