Re: Make anaconda a regular python module

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Chris Lumens wrote:

The attached patch set turns anaconda into a regular old python module.  It does
this by moving lots and lots of files around.  I will attach a followup email
showing the exact layout of the anaconda RPM with this patch applied.

I have performed a basic test of building a scratch package and then running
pungi with that package, and then doing a single basic install.  pungi will
require patches to reference new locations.  I've got a patch for that locally
and will send later.  fedora-logos will also need a patch.

Notable changes:

- In order to not have to change every "import whatever" to "import
 anaconda.whatever", I do some python path mangling early on.  Any project
 using anaconda that doesn't want to have to make those changes will have to
 do their own path mangling.

Fine with this.

- /usr/sbin/anaconda -> /usr/sbin/anaconda-bin.  I have to do this to make
 updates work correctly.  Patch 11 should explain the situation.

I'm not crazy about renaming it to anaconda-bin.  I like what packages like
pungi did where the frontend executable takes the name 'pungi' and the Python
module is named 'pypungi'.  Same sort of name munging, but if the module is
changed to pyanaconda, that still keeps the renaming within the module move
rather than also renaming /usr/sbin/anaconda

- /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime is dead.

Finally.

I'm looking to push this into master relatively soon so I can go back to work
on storage testing.

With the exception of my comment above and the ones below, I am ok with this
change in anaconda:

1) The scripts that are executed by tools like pungi or revisor should go in
/usr/libexec/anaconda rather than /usr/share/anaconda.  These would be
buildinstall and related scripts.  Really, any of the scripts that can be
executed as-is and are typically used by other programs rather than the user
directly.

2) The *-stub commands should probably go in /usr/share/anaconda and not
/usr/$LIBDIR/anaconda since they are just copied in at image build time.

3) mapshdr, modlist, and readmap should go in /usr/libexec/anaconda since they
are run by the buildinstall chain.

mgracik will also want to update lorax to account for changes in anaconda
layout.

- -- David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI